Sunday, January 25, 2009

At least its not as bad as the last one

Woot! TWO movies in two weeks, the 2009 movie season is starting out strong. Too bad there isnt anything else coming out worth seeing til March. Maybe the new Street FIghter movie but thatll probably suck really bad. Anyways. My friend Matt and I went and seen Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans. I wasnt all together hyped up for this movie. Ive never been a big fan of the series to start with and the 2nd one was absloute trash. I did however decide to give this film a chance and I was desperately hoping it was better than the last one. Well my hopes were fulfilled and come to find out this might actually be the best one in the trilogy. The story is sound and with Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen leading the way, most of the acting is spot on. There are a few exceptions of course. Michael Sheen returns to play Lucien the leader of the Lycans in this prequel that shows us how the war between Lycan and Vampires started thats only been eluded to in the previous films. He stars opposite Rhona Mitra who plays Sonja the daughter of Victor, played by the once again returning Bill Nighy. If you have seen the previous two then you should have a faint idea about what happens, especially since they show the scene in the first film. Fans of the series will like it, Im sure, but im still a lil meh over the whole thing. I know my problem with the series is trivial, but I just cant get over how crappy the Lycans look sometimes. As my freind Matt pointed out, it looks like they use claymation at several parts of the film and that has plagued this entire series. Maybe they dont have the funds to get proper special effects, I dont know. What I do know is that they could have come up with something better than this:
And thats one of the beter looking ones in the film. All in all, its a decent film if there is nothing else to watch or like I said, youre a fan of the series. On the Heath-Scale I give Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans a score of 7 out of 10


No comments: