Monday, January 19, 2009

Reading List: The Scout

Some of you know that I spend a lot of my time reading. I know that will surprise some of you, especially those of you that play World of Warcraft with me at all hours of the night. I do most of my reading at work on breaks and such and I usually average about 1 decent sized book a week. Any of my buddies can tell you that I spend quite a chunk of change on books all the time. So I figured I would keep you guys up to date on what Im reading at the moment and my thoughts on it. I just finished The Scout by Harry Combs.


Its a sequel to the book; Brules. The Scout continues the life of Cat Brules, former outlaw, Indian hunter and army scout as he spends his time in the US Army. It tells from his perspective, famous battles such as the battle of Little Big Horn among others. While I really liked Brules, this book left a little to be desired. I wont ruin anything for you, but more time could have been spent with his time in the army. Its still a good western and does answer some questions left from the previous book but it still leaves many parts of Brules' story to be told. Im not sure if I am going to continue with the series in the next installment The Legend of the Painted Horse. I wouldnt recommend this book, only if you have read Brules and really liked it and have to know how he spent his years in the service. Do give Brules a try though, seriously a very good western and very different from the basic mysterious gunman saves the town story that is featured in most westerns.

No comments: