Sunday, April 12, 2009

So god awful it is fantastic.

Several years ago, I made a mistake that to this day still haunts me. Two friends of mine went to see a movie that I personally had no interest in whatsoever. That movie was House of the Dead. A movie I now own for the simple fact that it is one of the all time worst movies ever put to film. It is one of those that is so bad its fun to watch. Nevermind that it was supposed to be scary, it ended up being hilarious. Ever since then, My friends and I have been on a quest searching for another film that fits into that same category. We have failed many times, watching craptacular films that only make you cringe in their awfulness. We have also found some hidden gems among the movies we have watched such as Evil Alien Conquerors but none as good as House of the Dead. Well that changed tonight. Dragonball Evolution is that movie. Based on the manga/anime series Dragonball, Dragonball Evolution tells the story of Goku as he quests to stop the evil alien warlord Piccolo from destroying the Earth and gather the 7 mystical dragon balls that when brought together, can grant one wish. The anime series is actually pretty good. I myself was more of a fan of Dragonball Z, the follow up series that continues the story of Goku and friends. They pretty much threw everything out the window except for character names and made their own film. Where to start on the flaws of this movie. Terrible acting, terrible story, insanely god awful special effects. I mean seriously, some of them looked like cardboard cutouts being drug through the scene on wires. This made for great entertaining hilarity but for fans who wanted a seriously good interpretation, this must have been like sitting through 90 minutes of hell. Whats worse is that the filmmakers set up the story for a sequel. Not only did they think that this movie was good, but good enough to make another one. I for one hope they do, Its not often one gets to see a movie that sucks to this magnitude. I will for sure be first in line to see it when it comes out too. I can always go for a good laugh. I give Dragonball Evolution a score on the Heath-meter of 1 out of 10.

No comments: