Sunday, February 15, 2009

Retro Review: Die Hard

Recently, I finally bought a DVD copy of Die Hard. Just got done watching it with a friend of mine who had never seen it. I cant say much, I watched it for the first time just a few months ago. I still have yet to see the third and I'm not sure if I even want to see the latest one with it being PG-13 and not rated R. I mean seriously how can it even try to live up the first one without the rated R violence? That's what makes Die Hard so freaking awesome. After watching it again, I decided that Die Hard is one of the all time best action movies ever. It still holds up even after 21 years. The only fault I can find is how silly the big fight scene is with the blond German guy karate chopping at McClain. The story would work with our time and not need much altered at all. This movie put not only Bruce Willis on the map as a bankable action star and all around tough guy, but also Alan Rickman as one of the best Hollywood bad guys. Forget him as the sheriff of Nottingham or as Snape in Harry Potter. This film shows just how bad ass he can be. Today's directors need to go back and watch this film and learn how to make a good action movie. I give Die Hard, on the Heath-Scale a score of 9 out of 10.

No comments: