Sunday, March 22, 2009

Finally!

I cant believe it! After 4 freaking years of delays, rewrites, and dismissal from local theaters, I have now seen Fanboys. I had pretty much given up all hope of seeing this movie until I found an illegal bootleg at some comic convention in the near future. A buddy of mine called me up and let me know that the Carmike in my area was showing this film this weekend. Not taking any chances, we decided to go see it, knowing my luck this will probably be the only weekend its here and judging from the audience that payed to see it, I don't doubt it one bit. Fanboys is the story of a group of childhood friends in 1998 that surprisingly all love Star Wars. 3 years after a falling out, Eric who has "grown up" finds out that former best friend Linus has terminal cancer and has about 3 or 4o months to live. With Star Wars episode one still 6 months away, the friends decide to find a way for Linus to see the movie before he dies. The plan to drive cross country to the Skywalker Ranch and steal a copy of the film. What follows is the usual Hollywood flair about young guys on a road trip. After crazy hi jinks with a gay bar, crazy pimps in Las Vegas and the nerdiest Star Trek fans on the planet Earth, the finally make their way to the Ranch to place their names in destiny. Featuring recognizable young talent such as Sam Huntington, Dan Fogle from Balls of Fury, Seth Rogan in two of the best roles in the film and Kristen Bell. There are also cameos by Jay and Silent Bob, Carrie Fisher, Ray Parks, and Ethan Suplee. This movie is pure geek greatness to anyone that may love fictional characters just a bit too much. I'm just glad I was able to finally see it in a theater, even if it was one as bad as the local Carmike. I give Fanboys a score on the Heath-meter of 8 out of 10.

No comments: