Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reading List: Brave Men Run and Rolling THunder

As you can see, Brave Men Run is by Matthew Wayne Selznick. This is the 4th and final superhero novel I bought online a few weeks ago. I actually finished this book like 2 weeks ago, I just haven't gotten around to writing this out yet. This book is told through the perspective a young man during the 1980s. He is an outcast at school mainly because of his looks. When super humans are introduced to the world, his life goes upside down. The best way to describe this book is to go along with the musing of one of the reviewers listed on the inside of the book who states that it is like if John Hughes had directed Spiderman instead of The Breakfast Club. All I can say is that I liked it and I'm hoping that there are actually more in this series.

I also read this book in my weeks of non posting. John Varley is one of my favorite Sci Fi authors. His Gaea Trilogy is fantastic and the first book in this series called Red Thunder is also fantastic. Rolling Thunder is the third in the series following Red Lightning. It also continues the story of the families whose story have been told in the previous books. While I ended up liking this book, I had my doubts early on. IT kinda goes on without any kind of plot for a while until a certain event gives us the main story for this book. It also opens many questions and really gets you wondering where its going. The only thing, it doesn't go anywhere. The story reverts back to the format before the climactic event. It actually does work for the story but I could have had more. It just seemed to be a lot of filler and an excuse to show up just how much Mr Varley does his research on certain subjects. While I think this and the 2nd one for that matter are decent but not really all that, I do recommend reading Red Thunder as it is a very cool book.

No comments: